Friday 10 January 2014

filofax Classic or Cross 

The Cross model filofax was launched several years ago and featured many derivatives, such as a purse, bag and and the usual sizes of organiser etc. After a couple of years the model name changed to the Classic, I say that it changed as I have not been able to see any difference between the two.
The Italian leather organiser has been available in many colours over the years and thus appeals to both men and women. With plenty of storage and the ability to lay flat after a little use( I am referring to the personal size here), the Cross or Classic organiser is also a practical choice. 
There is one negative point and that is the fact that most examples I have seen and own, appear to crack at the fold, whether it is at the back or the front. The cracking is like a glazing and is due to a coating that is upon the leather, which I am guessing lifts from the surface of the leather. This produces the white-ish cracking appearance which is more evident upon the darker colours.
I have a personal Classic in chocolate of which I have removed the coating using an aerosol shoe cleaner and much elbow grease, as well as a microfibre cloth. I believe that it is the solvents within the cleaner that has softened the coating and allowed me to remove the coating from the organiser. The result is a smooth non cracked leather Classic filofax that doesn't bug me now. I cannot recommend this as a form of treatment however, because some solvents or cleaners may differ and could cause permanent damage. Also some might say that an hour or so spent on the cover of a filofax is not an economical use of time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment