Tuesday 29 May 2018

Refurbishing a 2MLF 7/8 vintage filofax

I recently received a vintage filofax that was in need of a little TLC. The filofax 2MLF 7/8 in black Moroccan leather was structurally good but had the button missing, rust spots on the ring plate and was very dirty.
I set to work on the rings first, these were nice and tight and snapped shut, therefore I removed the ring plate using a blade and a plastic card to protect the leather. I cleaned the inside mechanism and oiled lightly. I scraped the rust spots from the ring plate and cleaned with a mild household cleaner, buffing with a micro fibre cloth.

The leather as I said was dirty and needed a good leather cleaner to remove the grime, but it came off to reveal little in the way of wear. Once dry I buffed the leather and replaced the ring plate, this left just the button. I had a spare filofax button from a damaged filofax, so I prepared the popper on the filofax, by removing any debris from the original button, cleaned and applied the replacement button using super glue. after a minute or two it was sound in position. Apart from tidying a few threads my work was done and I am chuffed with the results and hope you like the filofax 2MLF 7/8 Black.












1 comment: